Friday, February 3, 2012

Vegan Cheesecake

So, last month over winter break I was at home in sunny Southern California with ample time to do some experimentation. I decided to try my hand at a vegan cheesecake. It was loosely based off of one I saw online on peta.com, but I did some tinkering to improve it. Let me warn you before you start, this is an expensive recipe! That said, I was lucky it turned out well and my family enjoyed it - it will be worth it!

Crust:
1 3/4 Cups Granola
2 Tbsp Soy Margarine
1 Tbsp Water

If it's too crumbly, add more water. Then after mixing, press into an 8 or 10 inch an and bake for 6-10 minutes (it should look slightly more brown/crisp)

Filling:

2 lbs Soft or Silken Tofu (Be careful about this part, if it's bad quality tofu the pie will turn out soggy and awful. This is important. I trusted Whole Foods and it served me very well. Another time I bought a cheap brand at an asian convenience store and it was disastrous).
2 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup/Granulated Sugar/Agave (Can combine these or just use one)
1/3 Cup Canola or Vegetable or Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract (Maybe more depending on the taste)
2 Tsp Lemon Zest (or just add more lemon juice)

Put all of those ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Then pour half the filling into the crust, add some semi-sweet chocolate chips (or any other filling you would like) and pour the other half on top.

Bake for 25-35 mins in 350 degree preheated oven. When it's done if you lightly touch the center it should spring back. After the cheesecake cools for a while you might see some water come to the top - make sure to pour that out! Also, if you put the cheesecake in the fridge to chill, pour out excess water upon removing it again or it could get soggy.

Lastly: proceed to devour with little, if any, guilt.
 


Bon Appetit! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you have ideas, questions, comments, etc. feel free to email us at vagabondvegan@gmail.com.