Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl

Before I begin, yes it's necessary to say YEAAAA GIANTS!!!!!

Ok so in preparation for the game, I cooked up some dinner recipes. As usual, I try to use as many fresh ingredients as possible. This meal turned out to be really flavorful, filling, and healthy.

Sweet Potato Fries

I cooked these a couple ways and the recipe to follow was my favorite way. I like fries to be on the crunchier side without being deep fried. Therefore this recipe produces a fry that is crunchier from the potato not being soft all the way through, rather than being fried.

3 med. sweet potatoes, peeled
Cooking spray
Spice mix**

**a long time ago I bought this amazing spice mix from Costco called Sweet Mesquite Seasoning which I believe is mostly for grilling. However, I found it to work great in other dishes. See if you can find some sort of mesquite grill run or seasoning. If not, experiment with chili powder+brown sugar+cayenne pepper+garlic power+salt+pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven 350F.
2. Cut potatoes into fries. Approx. 1/3" thickness or less.
3. Place in ziplock bag and add spice mixture. Spray with cooking spray. Shake up the bag to coat potatoes.
4. Spread out on foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 5-10min.
5. Remove from oven and place in pan to fry (Pan needed more cooking spray).
6. Cook for approx. 15min more or until desired tenderness.


Bean Chili

1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
3 med. carrots
1 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2c. yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
Frozen corn
1 14.5oz can black beans
1 14.5oz can pinto beans w/jalapeño
Same spice mix from above.

1. Roughly chop onion and mince garlic. Put in a medium saucepan and sauté.
2. While the onion and garlic are being sautéed, roughly chop carrots in 1/4" thickness. Cut bigger pieces in half or in third. Once onions start becoming softer, add carrots.
3. Chop both peppers to about the size of a 1/2" square and add to saucepan.
4. Drain/rinse both beans and add to pan.
5. Add tomatoes, frozen corn, and about 2tsp spice mixture next. Bring mixture to a boil. (Depending on how it looks, you might want to add some water. I think I ended up adding about 1/2cup).
6. Once it comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30min. Mix occasionally.

Notes: This was my first time making and trying chili and I enjoyed it tremendously. One of the best aspects of making chili, I learned, is how versatile it is. You can really experiment with proportions of spice, veggies, and thickness. It was an especially great dish to make on a chilly day like today because it really fills you up while still being super healthy.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Estimates:



0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you have ideas, questions, comments, etc. feel free to email us at vagabondvegan@gmail.com.